Instant Accessto State, County and Municipal Public Records

Businesses, Click Here
Mississippi.StateRecords.org is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”). You understand and acknowledge that these reports are NOT “consumer reports” as defined by the FCRA. Your access and use of a report is subject to our Terms of Service and you expressly acknowledge that you are prohibited from using this service and this report to determine an individual’s eligibility for credit, insurance, employment or any other purpose regulated by the FCRA.


Staterecords.org provides access to CRIMINAL, PUBLIC, and VITAL RECORDS (arrest records, warrants, felonies, misdemeanors, sexual offenses, mugshots, criminal driving violations, convictions, jail records, legal judgments, and more) aggregated from a variety of sources, such as county sheriff's offices, police departments, courthouses, incarceration facilities, and municipal, county and other public and private sources.

Staterecords.org is a privately owned, independently run resource for government-generated public records. It is not operated by, affiliated or associated with any state, local or federal government or agency.

Staterecords.org is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA") and should not be used to determine an individual's eligibility for personal credit or employment, tenant screening or to assess risk associated with a business transaction. You understand and agree that you may not use information provided by Staterecords.org for any unlawful purpose, such as stalking or harassing others, and including for any purpose under the FCRA.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. Staterecords.org cannot confirm that information provided is accurate or complete. Please use any information provided responsibly.

By clicking "I Agree," you consent to our Terms of Use and are authorizing Staterecords.org to conduct a people research to identify preliminary results of the search subject you entered. You understand and agree that search reports will only be available with a purchase.

Mississippi Unclaimed Money

What is Unclaimed Money in Mississippi?

In Mississippi, unclaimed money is regarded as unclaimed property, abandoned property, or abandoned money. It is money or property left with a person or organization, such as a bank or solicitor, over a fixed statutory period (referred to as a dormancy period).

Typically, when the dormancy period for an abandoned sum of money passes, the holder hands it over to the state government. In a process known as escheatment, the government takes custody of the funds until the rightful owners can claim them. Unclaimed money can be in the form of traveler’s checks, checking and savings accounts, gift cards, wages, life insurance, money orders, etc.

Per the Mississippi Unclaimed Property Act, all holders of unclaimed money must send the funds to the Office of the State Treasury. The state treasury takes possession of the money but never claims complete ownership. Instead, the department holds the property until the rightful owner appears.

How to Find Unclaimed Money in Mississippi

Individuals who want to find unclaimed money in Mississippi should start with the state’s treasury. The department has an unclaimed property database that anyone can search for unclaimed money using a last or business name. The database can also be explored with a street address, county name, first name, or P.O. Box number.

How Do I Find Mississippi Unclaimed Money for Free?

The Mississippi State Treasury publishes a government list of unclaimed money that can be accessed through the agency’s website. Any interested person can perform free searches on this site to find unclaimed money.

Furthermore, some federal agencies that hold unclaimed money provide free databases to residents who want to find their lost funds. Some types of unclaimed money and their custodial agencies include:

Undelivered Federal Tax Refund Checks

Mississippi residents who believe they should have received a tax refund from the IRS can search the IRS refunds database to look for their money. Usually, the IRS does not forward tax returns if an individual changes their address. Instead, the department holds unto it until the owner claims it. When using the IRS webpage to search for unclaimed money, individuals must provide their Social Security Number, filing status, and the amount to be refunded.

Unclaimed Harmed Investors’ Funds

This fund is kept in the custody of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. It is meant to pay investors who have suffered securities fraud. Mississippi citizens who were victims of securities fraud can check the commission’s database for unclaimed funds or contact the commission via this address:

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
100 F Street, North East
Washington, DC 20549
Phone: (202) 551-6551

Mortgage Insurance Refunds

These refunds are from the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insured mortgages. Individuals can search the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s unclaimed refunds database for lost funds from canceled premiums and distributive share payments. Homeowners or their lawyers can also contact the agency to claim their unclaimed funds. The contact information is provided below.

451 7th Street South West
Washington, DC 20410
Phone: (800) 697-6967
Email: sf.premiums@hud.gov

How to Claim Unclaimed Money in Mississippi

Individuals who find lost money with the Mississippi Treasury’s unclaimed property search tool have two routes to claim the money.


After discovering an unclaimed fund via the treasury’s search tool, an individual can click the “That’s Me” button to begin filing their claim. The online claims process usually involves inputting certain identifying information into a web form and submitting the form to the treasury.


On the other hand, an individual can submit a claim form via mail to the state treasury. These are the steps:

Office of the State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
P.O. Box 138
Jackson, MS 39205

The documents that must be sent together with the claim form are indicated on the form. Some include:

  • Photo identification, such as a passport, driver’s license, military identification card, or another government-issued card
  • Proof of social security number
  • Legal document showing a name change (if applicable). For example, a marriage certificate
  • Proof of the address that was reported to the state
  • Death certificate and will/obituary/affidavit of death, if the owner of the money or asset (or their heir) is deceased

Anyone with further questions about the Mississippi claims process can contact the Unclaimed Property Division by phone at (601) 359-3534 or email at unclaimed@treasury.ms.gov.

How Long Does It Take to Get Unclaimed Money in Mississippi?

On average, it takes up to eight weeks for the Mississippi Unclaimed Property Division to process a claim, provided the department receives all supporting documents. This timeline may be longer if the claimant does not provide the required documentation.

Notably, the duration within which one can recover unclaimed money in Mississippi may also vary by the type of money. For instance, according to the state treasury, claims with stock securities may have a longer processing period.

Who Can Claim Unclaimed Money From Deceased Relatives in Mississippi?

In Mississippi, heirs and surviving family members, executors, and court-appointed probate administrators are among the people who can claim unclaimed money from a deceased person. All claimants must, however, submit supporting documents when filing the claim. These documents typically identify the claimant, confirm the death of the rightful owner, and provide evidence of the claimant’s relationship to the deceased.

What Happens to Mississippi Unclaimed Money if No One Claims It?

Unclaimed money in Mississippi remains in the state government’s custody forever. The government protects these funds until a rightful owner submits a valid claim. If this happens, the Mississippi Unclaimed Property Division will release the sum and any accumulated interest.

Can Someone in Mississippi Claim Unclaimed Money From Another State?

Yes. Individuals currently residing in Mississippi but having financial assets in other states are likely to have unclaimed property or funds in those states. These individuals will have to file a claim for unclaimed money in the respective states, following the applicable procedure the official custodian specifies.